Do you see your Boss in your dreams? Does morning wake up calls terrify you? Are you tired of your ever criticizing and complaining team lead? Do you want to escape the professional rat race and move to fast track in your career? Then read this 9 power tips to Manage your Manager and accelerate you career growth exponentially.
This quick list of 9 power tips will provide immunity from your aggressive, non-cooperative supervisor, like a flu vaccination shot. Intake this simple but powerful tips to improve your relationship with your team lead / supervisor / boss and move forward in your career with his / her full support. Add these Nitro turbo booster packs to accelerate and fast forward your growth in your career more blissfully. Following are the 9 power tips to impress your boss and accelerate your career pace.
- Introspection is the first step towards the journey of success.
- SWOT Analysis: Perform a self-analysis of Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat. Self-analysis and understanding your strengths and weakness, tells where do you stand and gives focus on where to improve. For more details on how to perform self SWOT Analysis, read the following articlehttps://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_05_1.htm
2. Start the day with a To Do List and stick to it all day long.
- List down each and every activity to be performed in a day in a To Do List. Do not neglect the smallest activity as well. Use apps like Evernote, Onenote, etc to capture in digital format and fix alarms, reminders to follow up task completion.
- Break down every activity to its sub-activities and define the immediate next action in detail to trigger a sense of direction and focus.
- Categorize the list of activities into Less than 2-minute tasks, Urgent, Important, Preferred, Delegate and Eliminate.
- Prioritize into A, B, C, D and drill down to A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2.
- Always stay focused on finishing activities Top Down one by one, if required re-prioritize the list every now and then, but never skip the priority while executing. Always follow and stay with the list.
- One at a time and One by one, is the best proven effective and most productive practice to increase your efficiency and save more time to achieve more than others.
3. Stay Organized
- 50% of the time is spent on searching and retrieving data, documents, emails in our daily work schedule, which can be really saved and utilized for more productive results by staying organized.
- Two minutes spent in organizing every information and document, immediately on receipt of the same, will save hours of stress, during times of emergency and urgency.
- A well-organized employee has 60% more chances to get promoted and given new assignments, projects, opportunities compared to an unorganized, dis-oriented, cluttered employee.
- Manage physical documentation and filing indexing system properly and stay update. Throw unused information to trash and keep your work desk clean.
- Manage desktop (computer) folder structure and indexing system.
- Categorize and archive emails with proper indexing to retrieve.
4. Be on time, every time
- Start early and Arrive office 30 minutes before regular start time and plan your day well in advance compared to other peers.
- Starting and arriving early provides a stress-free drive, avoiding traffic. Also arriving early gives calm and distraction free desk space to peacefully work and start a productive day.
- Estimate the adequate time required to complete all activities undertaken, with complete inputs and facts. Because getting 2 days extra for completing a work in advance is stress-free and easy compared to delayed delivery with excuses.
- Stay committed to any dates agreed to deliver results and outputs. Never loose credibility on time of delivery, which will give more visibility and career growth opportunities.
5. Understand your Boss personality and behavior type.
- Personality types:The four temperament types originated with Hippocrates help us to categorize every person to their personality types namely Popular Sanguine, Powerful choleric, Perfect Melancholy, Peaceful phlegmatic. Why we are the way we are, is because of our inherent temperament nature. Knowing each personality type’s temperament will help us understand self and others and will enhance us to empathize. This will avoid unintended misunderstandings and peer rivalry and improvise professional relationship with the team members and your supervisor. For more details, you can read the book “Personality plus” by Florence Littauer at the following link
Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
- DISC behavior :DiSC is a behavior assessment tool based on the DISC theory of psychologist William Moulton Marston, which centers on four different personality traits: Dominance, inducement, submission, and compliance. Each type of person responds to a situation as per their inclination towards one of the four. Understanding the DiSC behaviors in detail will help us know the type of person we are dealing with and can achieve win-win situations in all negotiations and team work with ease and create stress-free official relationships. For more details regarding DISC Behavior read the below article http://www.discprofiles4u.com/pages/DiSC-Behavioral-Styles.html
6. Communicate assertively and effectively.
- Most of the problems generally arise due to poor communication.
- A well-informed Boss will be more cooperative.
- Discuss your difficulties in advance to supervisor in private.
- Provide key figures, statistics, status, progress and indicators on bi-weekly basis.
- Effective communication is one of the key ingredients for growth and success. Hence understanding your Boss’s communication style is very much essential to receive support from your supervisor and team members.
- There are basically 4 types of communication style namely Analytical, Intuitive, Functional and Personal.
- Analytical communicator like hard data, real numbers, and tend to be suspicious of people who aren’t in command of the facts and data.
- Intuitive communicator like the big picture, avoid getting bogged down in details, and cut right to the chase.
- Functional communicator like process, detail, timelines and well-thought-out plans. They like to communicate things in a step-by-step fashion so nothing gets missed.
- Personal communicator value emotional language and connection, and use that as mode of discovering what others are really thinking.
- After knowing this, it will be quite convincing and easy to manage communication with tough supervisors, as you know what they are looking for and you will be prepared to provide information the way they want. You can read more about the communication styles in detail at the following article from forbes.com.http://www.forbes.com/sites/markmurphy/2015/08/06/which-of-these-4-communication-styles-are-you/
- Be prepared for meetings.
- Ask for agenda in advance and collect relevant data.
- Speak only when you are requested to speak.
- Do not interrupt a speaker during their turn, rather wait and let them complete.
- Do not speculate.
- Email Etiquettes.
- Address only the required persons in To, CC.
- Avoid Bcc to the maximum extent as it is not the preferred way of being communicated.
- Do not address emails to large group of people unless highly necessary to announce information to teams.
- Subject of the email shall be clear, simple and short with Job no., email reference no., etc., to track future correspondences.
- Do not “Reply All”, unless highly necessary.
- Be a transparent and honest communicator to your peers, team members and fellow colleagues. Do not enter into grape vine discussions and avoid commenting others. Remember always that, when you tag some one, you will be definitely tagged by others someday.
7. Be Adaptive.
- “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change” The above quote supposedly extracted from “Origin of Species” by Charles Darwin.
- Based on the above quote, Best-selling author Mr. Chetan Bhagat during his inspiring speech at the National achievers conference 2015 held at Chennai, India, emphasized the importance of adaptability. He referred to the phenomenal existence of cockroaches from Jurassic era till today as they adapt to any given circumstance, where as the Dinosaurs, strongest creatures once ruled the earth did not survive due to their inability of adaptability to change.
- This re-iterates the importance of being adaptable to changes and circumstances for the challenges we face today in the corporate world.
8. Learn more to Earn more.
- First learn Excel (Microsoft office) to Excel in your daily work. It is the only easiest and most used software in any organization where it is used to track information in spreadsheet format ranging from list of customers, stock inventory, sales reports to complex project reports in multinational companies. Try to learn the formulas, pivot charts, graphs and most importantly the feature called “Macros”, by which we can just record our repetitive actions and use it to save time and efforts on recurring tasks.
- Learn the required technical software tips, tricks, shortcuts and importantly macros which normally others skip.
- Develop the habit of reading technical stuff relevant to your profession on daily basis at least for 30 minutes. You can do this during your lunch break while having food at your desk which will give more edge compared to your peers.
- Take some weekend certificate courses on Total quality management, Six sigma, Human Safety, Communication skills, Leadership skills, Project management (PMP), Professional Engineer (PE) and get certified. Certified professionals have greater chances of being identified for new and challenging assignments as lot of clients ask for such titles in their project teams.
9. Be a problem solver and trouble shooter.
- Whenever there is a problem or a crisis, people look for experts to solve it immediately. In any job environment, trouble shooters and problem solvers are highly regarded and consulted.
- By converting yourself into a problem solver and trouble shooter, your visibility within your functional group or discipline will have a giant leap. You will be recognized and appreciated as a knowledgeable smart person and the chances of getting nominated and recommended for more challenging assignments by your supervisor is definitely ensured.
- Problem-solving skills create a very high-value system for you and can create a unique selling point in your career advancement.
All the above 9 power tips and strategies are truly self-tested with definite results. By implementing all of the above sequentially in a steady phase, you will have more advantage than your peers and can achieve long due promotions, higher pay hikes and important of all is the cooperation from your boss. Wish you all the very best for a successful stress-free career with a supportive boss.
-Johnson Ashok Kumar